What are food intolerances?
Food intolerances, or food sensitivities, occur when a person has difficulty digesting certain foods or ingredients. This condition is occasionally mislabeled as or confused with food allergies. Food allergies, however, involve the immune system and even a microscopic amount of the food has the potential to lead to serious, life-threatening reactions. A food intolerance only involves the digestive system and has less severe symptoms.
Intolerances are often linked to these ingredients:
- Lactose (a natural sugar found in dairy products)
- Gluten (a protein in wheat and other grains)
- Fructose (a natural sugar found in most fruits and also in high-fructose corn syrup)
- FODMAPs (fermentable oligosaccharides disaccharides monosaccharides and polyols, which are carbohydrates that draw water into the intestine during digestion)
- Sulfites (found in sodas, wines, and pickled foods)
What are the symptoms?
The most common symptoms of a food intolerance include:
- Abdominal pain
- Intestinal gas
With food intolerances, you often have to eat a lot of food/ingredient, and it may take an hour or more before your symptoms appear. The symptoms of food allergies are similar, but also involve rashes or hives.
How does InBloom Health address food intolerances?
At InBloom Health in Londonderry, New Hampshire, we provide food intolerance testing. If you are unsure of whether you have a food allergy or intolerance, schedule a consultation today. When you come in for testing, we will determine which foods work best for your body to optimize health and wellness.
Book an appointment in Londonderry, New Hampshire
If you live in the Londonderry area and you are interested in food intolerance testing, contact us today. Our expert medical team will address any questions or concerns you have about your health, and create a personalized health plan that will help you. Call (603) 818-8777 or book your consultation online to get started.